Thursday, August 30, 2012

Update

Another week, another trip to the farm for our CSA.

This is what we got this week: Green Beans, Carrots, little green apples (I am going to put those and some of the carrots into Morning Glory muffins), Walla Walla sweet onion (I'm planning on making a Spanish Tortilla), a couple of Brandywine Heirloom tomatoes, a handful of basil from their u-pick area (I'm planning on bruschetta - btw, did you know that it is NOT pronounced /bru shed da/? It is /bru sket ta/. It's true. I'm really tired of being "gently corrected" by servers when I order it from a restaurant. Ok, I'm off my soapbox now, moving on...) lettuce, pluots (a mix of plumbs and apricots) broccoli, cabbage, Swiss chard (I hear it is great for juicing!), and fennel (I have an awesome recipe for a baked chicken with fennel and tomatoes).

Sorry for the blurry pic. I was a lazy bum and didn't change my lens on my camera. I promise better pictures in the future. 


In other news. My effort to breed Penny is ongoing. Here is our newest option, Scout:


He is chocolate with frosted ears and all the babies he has sired have blue eyes. I figure anything that is described as "chocolate and frosted" has to be good. Right?

He is planning on coming for a "get to know you" visit tomorrow (Friday). If Penny is close to heat then they might have some sexytime. If not, then we will wait until she comes into heat and try again. And try to explain to my children what is going on. Nothing like having a farm to help with "the talk".

On a more "G" rated note, we are still totally loving Felicity's milk. So much so that I'm having a hard time setting aside any milk for cheese. I have started freezing the milk we get every third day. She still gives about 1/4 gal a day  so we are just barely keeping up with what we drink. I'm thinking about getting a third goat (or maybe forth if I can talk my husband into it) so that we have more milk to do other things with like cheese and ice cream. 



No comments:

Post a Comment